Below are the founding principles of Vegan Australia. We ensure that all our campaigns are consistent with these principles.
Vegan Australia envisions a world in which people treat animals with respect, ensure justice for them and enable them to live their lives free of human exploitation, use and ownership.
Vegan Australia will be a respected and credible organisation that gains the trust of both individuals and institutions so they change their attitude and behaviour, resulting in the end of production and consumption of animal products and the abolition of the use of animals for any purpose, including food, clothing and entertainment. Vegan Australia will campaign for veganism as the basis of a just and ethical society and will promote its benefits to human health, the natural environment and social justice.
Vegan Australia is founded on the following considerations:
- Sentient animals value their own life and body and have an interest in continuing their existence and avoiding suffering.
- Animals have the right to be treated with respect and justice and not to be treated as property.
- Production of animal products necessarily results in suffering or death of animals.
- Humans have no need for any animal products and in particular are able to live healthily on a vegan diet.
- Many people who adopt a nutritious vegan diet will enjoy significant health improvements by reducing the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke, cancer and diabetes.
- Raising and processing of animals for food is a major cause of environmental damage, including land degradation, water shortage, deforestation, ocean degradation, air pollution and climate change.
- Veganism is an ethical response to many urgent social justice issues. The negative consequences of animal production impact heavily on the poor, the disempowered and the hungry.
- Issues of race, culture, gender and class are important factors to consider in the promotion of veganism.
- Humans should reduce the harm caused indirectly to animals due to the extraction of natural resources, transportation, development and other human activities as much as possible including harm due to agriculture.
To implement its mission, Vegan Australia will
- campaign for governments and other institutions to recognise and support veganism
- positively influence decision makers and the media
- educate all Australians and inspire them to embrace veganism as being ethical, attainable and beneficial
- provide services and resources for new and existing vegans
- research the most effective ways to promote veganism and achieve its goals.
Vegan Australia is opposed to all forms of oppression and discrimination and is a peaceful, inclusive organisation. Vegan Australia acknowledges and respects the Traditional Owners of country throughout Australia and recognises their continuing connection to land, waters and culture.