Just a few years ago there were only a handful of farmed animal sanctuaries in Australia. Now they can be found in nearly all states of Australia. These sanctuaries care for animals rescued from the animal agriculture industries and look after them for the rest of their lives.
Not all are open to the public, but some have open days where you are welcome to become familiar with farmed animals as individuals and learn each animal's unique (and often traumatic) story. Please make contact with a sanctuary before you plan a visit. An open day at a sanctuary can be one of the best ways to educate people about the principles of veganism, so invite your pre-vegan friends and family along too.
Unfortunately, most sanctuaries are at capacity and can not take any more animals. If you know of any animals who need a forever home, please contact Edgar's Mission Farm Animal Adoption Friends.
Sanctuaries are run by incredibly hardworking and dedicated people. Many allow you help out by donating or volunteering your time and skills.
Due to the current drought in Australia, many sanctuaries are struggling and finding it very hard to source food for the animals due to shortages and rising prices. Please donate now to the Save A Sanctuary Drought Appeal.
Below is a list of vegan farmed animal sanctuaries in Australia. Note that some are privately run and are not registered charities. Please contact us with any updates to this list.
- Little Oak Sanctuary, Braidwood, NSW
- A Poultry Place, Murrumbateman, NSW
- Whisker Woods Sanctuary, Williamsdale, NSW
- A Place of Peace Sanctuary, Braidwood, NSW
- Signal Hill Sanctuary, Yass River, NSW
- Lucky Stars Sanctuary, Bywong, NSW
- Where Pigs Fly Farm Sanctuary, Lower Hunter Valley
- Peanuts Funny Farm, Windellama, near Goulburn
- Hart Acres Animal Haven, Kurrajong
- Sugarshine Farm Sanctuary, Lismore
- NSW Hen Rescue, Ettalong Beach
- Sunny Corner Farm Sanctuary, Bathurst
- Disposable Heroes Rooster Sanctuary, South Coast
- Dianella Animal Sanctuary, Hunter Valley
- ArkHeart, Lightning Ridge
- Farm Animal Rescue, Dayboro
- Save A Cow Foundation, Sunshine Coast
- Barnyard Betty's Rescue, Brisbane Valley
- MariDan's Menagerie, Townsville
- Cranky's Farm Animal Rescue Mission, The Summit
- Deathrow Unchained Animal Rescue, Burbank
- Freedom Hill Sanctuary, Adelaide Hills
- Little Farm of Sunshine, Fleurieu Peninsula
- Fairview Lodge Animal Rescue, Fairview Park
- Furever Farm, Rockleigh
- Brightside Farm Sanctuary, Cygnet
- Big Ears Animal Sanctuary, near Launceston
- FreeHearts Animal Sanctuary, North East Tasmania
- Edgar's Mission Farm Sanctuary, Lancefield
- Lefty's Place Farm Sanctuary, Benalla, run by photographer Tamara Kenneally
- Big Sky Sanctuary, Strzelecki
- Blackwood Fields, Otway Ranges
- Willowite Animal Sanctuary, Freshwater Creek
- Hogwatch Farm Sanctuary, Gippsland
- Kind Pastures Farm Animal Sanctuary, Macedon Ranges
- Little Nest Refuge, East Melbourne
- Victorian Lamb Rescue, Werribee
- Gunyah Animal Healing Sanctuary, Yarck
- Wibo Animal Sanctuary, West Victoria
- Dreamer's Hen Rescue, Pyramid Hill
- Wala Animal Sanctuary, Smythes Creek
- Strathlea Hills Animal Sanctuary, Strathlea
- Plumfield Farm, Mornington Peninsula
- Loki's Lodge, Bendigo
- Bed & Broccoli, Castlemaine
- Bumpys Mission Sheep Sanctuary, Malmsbury
- Neddy's Law
- Liberation Sanctuary
- Greener Pastures Sanctuary, Waroona
- Happy Hooves Farm Sanctuary, Perth Hills
- Possum Valley Animal Sanctuary, Mount Helena
- Pucker Farm Animal Sanctuary, Kondinin
- Stand By Me Sanctuary, Margaret River
If you know of any animals who need a forever home, please contact Edgar’s Mission Farm Animal Adoption Friends.
If you would like to keep up to date with this and other topics, sign up to our newsletter.
← Previous post:
Meat eaters vs the Great Barrier Reef
Next post: →
Aussie vegan filmmakers win international awards