To celebrate Vegan Australia's Love a Dairy Cow Day we proudly present this recipe for Pasta with simple tomato sauce.
Pasta with simple tomato sauce
Need a filling and delicious meal in a hurry? Try this standby. Preparation time is only 8 minutes and it cooks in 15 minutes. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 800g can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 400g dried penne pasta
Use a pasta that contains no egg, such as a durum wheat based pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until it softens slightly. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Stir in the parsley and sugar. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
If you would like to keep up to date with this and other topics, sign up to our newsletter.