Esther's zucchini brownies
Esther has rooted up these Zucchini Brownies just for you. Yep that's right. We added zucchini in these delicious chocolate triple decadence brownies. The first bite you take touches the milk chocolate frosting top that's a thin crackle followed be a rich lower frosting layer. Then you get to the deep chocolatey brownie. The brownie batter will be a light tan colour with green flecks. As the brownies bake the colour darkens to a deep brown classic brownie colour. These brownies get more moist the next day if there are any left on day one. Enjoy chocolate fans!
- Chef Linda
|Prep time||45 minutes, including bake time|
|Serves||23cm x 33cm pan|
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/4 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (used 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal plus 6 Tablespoons water for 2 flax eggs
Milk Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar
Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Spray a 23cm x 33cm baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine 2 Tablespoons flaxmeal and 6 Tablespoons water in a mug. Stir to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes to gel.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all brownie ingredients in the order listed plus the flax eggs. Stir with a spatula until combined.
- Spread the brownie batter in the baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes. Check for doneness in the center with a toothpick.
- Allow the brownies to cool before adding the frosting.
- Combine all milk chocolate frosting ingredients in a mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl. Mix until smooth with a hand or stand mixer.
- Pour the frosting on the brownies and spread evenly with a spatula. Do this quickly. The frosting sets up fast. Allow the frosting to set up before slicing. The top will set up to a smooth crackle.
- Cover the brownies with foil and store on the counter or in the refrigerator.
- This recipe on Esther's Kitchen Facebook page
- Learn about the horrors of Australian pig farming (graphic)